Education: Ph.D., University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 1999
Office Location: 1340 Nelson
View Ted Baker's Vita
Department / Affiliations
Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Ted Baker's Personal Biography
Ted Baker is an associate professor of entrepreneurship at North Carolina State University’s Poole College of Management, and serves as Executive Director of The Entrepreneurship Collaborative (TEC). He spent the first half of his adult life in a variety of entrepreneurial ventures. His current research focuses on entrepreneurship under resource constraints (for example in the informal settlements around Cape Town, South Africa, in the textile industry in the American South and in university spin-offs) and in particular on bricolage and improvisation as constructs useful for understanding resourceful behavior and organizational resilience. His recent work builds on the social psychology of individual identity. He is Associate Editor at Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal and serves on the editorial boards of Academy of Management Review, Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Business Venturing and Journal of Management Studies. Ted is Representative at Large for the Entrepreneurship Division of the Academy of Management and Chairs the division’s Research Committee.
Selected Research Publications
- Timothy S. Pollock, Bret Fund and Ted Baker. 2009. Dance with the one that brought you? Venture Capital Firms and the Retention of Founder-CEOs. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 3: 199-217.
- Steve Barr, Ted Baker, Steve Markham & Angus Kingon. 2009. Bridging the Valley of Death: Lessons learned from 14 years of commercialization of technology education. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 8(3): 370-388.
- Johan Wiklund, Ted Baker & Dean Shepherd. 2009. The age-effect of financial indicators as buffers against the liability of newness, Journal of Business Venturing, In Press.
- Ted Baker & Timothy S. Pollock. 2007. Making the Marriage Work: The Benefits of Strategy’s Takeover of Entrepreneurship for Strategic Organization. In Press, Strategic Organization!
- Ted Baker. 2007. Resources in Play: Bricolage in the Toy Store(y). Journal of Business Venturing, 22: 694-711.
- Ted Baker & Reed E. Nelson. 2005. Creating Something from Nothing: Resource Construction through Entrepreneurial Bricolage. Administrative Science Quarterly, 50:329-366.
- Ted Baker, Eric Gedajlovik & Michael Lubatkin. 2005. A Framework for Comparing Entrepreneurship Processes Across Nations. Journal of International Business Studies, 36: 492-504. Reprinted in International Entrepreneurship, edited by Benjamin M. Oviatt and Patricia Phillips McDougal, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2007.
- Ted Baker, Anne S. Miner & Dale Eesley. 2003. Improvising Firms: Bricolage, Retrospective Interpretation and Improvisational Competencies in the Founding Process.