Professor, Graduate Faculty, Senior Visiting Fellow: Judge Business School, Cambridge University
Education: Ph.D., Texas A&M University, 1992
Office Location: 1322 Nelson
Department / Affiliations
Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Beverly B. Tyler's Personal Biography
Beverly B. Tyler, professor in the Department of Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship at NC State Poole College, received her Ph.D. from Texas A&M University (chair, Dr. Jay Barney) where her research focused on Behavioral Theory; more specifically, top executive decision making and organizational information processing. While at Indiana University, she extended her research to include cooperative capabilities, and knowledge and technology management. More recently at NC State, she has applied cognitive, organizational, and relationship management lenses to the domains of new product development, supply chain management, international investment decisions, and sponsored research relationships. Although she is primarily a behavioral theorist, Dr. Tyler values and often seeks to integrate multiple theoretical perspectives in her publications. Currently, she is pursuing several projects that consider multilevel, interdisciplinary inter-organizational cooperation focused on developing innovative technology. Dr. Tyler also is extending her research that looks as formal and relational contracting and how the roles involved in the process and organizational routines influence contract evolution. In addition, she continues to use a multi-method approach in her studies. She uses policy capturing experimental designs, secondary data analysis of databases, codification of documents and interviews, mail surveys, and cognitive mapping methods. Dr. Tyler’s research has appeared in Organizational Science, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management Studies, Journal of Operations Management, Journal of Supply Chain Management, Journal of Product Innovation Management, and Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, among others.
Top executive decision making, technology alliance management, international alliance management and supplier relationship management.
Selected Research Publications
- Tyler, B, and Caner, T. (forthcoming). “The Relationship between New Product Introductions below Aspiration Levels, R&D Alliances, and Slack in U.S. Biopharmaceutical Firms: A Behavioral Theory Perspective.” Strategic Management Journal [Accepted January 12, 2015].
- Lawson, B., Tyler, B.B., and Potter, A. (forthcoming). “Strategic Suppliers’ Technical Contributions to New Product Advantage: Substitution and Configuration Options.” Journal of Product Innovation Management [Accepted Feb. 18, 2014].
- Caner, T., and Tyler, B. (forthcoming). “The Effects of Knowledge Depth and Scope on the Relationship between R&D Alliances and New Product Development.” Journal of Product Innovation Management [Accepted Feb. 16, 2014].
- Tong, T., Reuer, J., Tyler, B.B., and Zhang, S. (2015). “Host Country Executives’ Assessments of International Joint Ventures and Divestitures: An Experimental Approach.” Strategic Management Journal, 36(2): 254-275.
- Bercovitz, J, and Tyler, B.B. (2014). “Who I Am and How I Contract: The Effect of Contractors’ Roles on the Evolution of Contract Structure in University-Industry Research Agreements,” Organization Science, 25(6): 1840-1959.
- Reuer, J. , Tong, T., Tyler, B.B., and Arino, A. (2013).“Executives Preferences for Governance Modes and Exchange Partners: An Information Economics Perspective.” Strategic Management Journal, 34: 1104–1122 (2013)
- Caner, Turanay; Tyler, Beverly (2013). “Alliance Portfolio R&D Intensity and New Product Introduction.” American Journal of Business. 28(1):38-63.
- Reuer, J. J., Tyler, B. B., Tong, T. W., & Wu, C. W. (2012). “Executives’ Assessments of International Joint Ventures in China: A Multi-theoretical Investigation. Management and Organization Review.” Management and Organization Review. 8(2), 311-340.
- Tyler, B.B. and Gnyawali, D.R. (2009). “Managerial Collective Cognitions: An Examination of Similarities and Differences of Cultural Orientations.” Journal of Management Studies.
- Terpend, R., Tyler, B.B., Handfield, R.B. and Krause, D.R. (2008). “Buyer-Supplier Relationships: Value Extraction Over Two Decades.” Journal of Supply Chain Management. 44(2):28-55
- Lawson, B., Tyler, B.B., and Cousins, P.D. (2008). “Antecedents and Consequences of Social Capital on Buyer Performance Improvement.” Journal of Operations Management.
- Krause, D., Handfield, R. B., Tyler, B. B. (2007). “The Relationship Between Supplier Development, Commitment, Social Capital Accumulation and Performance Improvement. Journal of Operations Management, 25(2), 528-545.
- Gnyawali, D.R. and Tyler, B.B. (2005). Cognitive Mapping in Strategic Management: Processes, Issues and Observations, in D.J. Ketchen, Jr., and D.D. Bergh (eds.), Research Methodology in Strategic Management, Vol. 2, Elsevier/JAI Press.
- Tyler, B. B. & Gnyawali, D.R. (2002). Mapping Manager’s Market Orientations Regarding New Product Success. The Journal of Product Innovation Management, 19:1-18.
- Tyler, B. B. (2001). The Complementarity of Cooperative and Technological Competencies: A Resource-Based Perspective. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 18: 1-27.
- Tyler, B.B. & Steensma, H.K. (1998). “The Effects of Executive Experiences and Perceptions on their Assessment of Potential Technological Alliances.” Strategic Management Journal. 19(10): 939-965.
- Hitt, M.A., T. Dacin, Tyler, B.B., & Park D. (1997). “A Transnational Examination of Strategic Management” Strategic Management Journal, 18 (2): 159-167.
- Tyler, B.B., & Steensma, H.K. (1995). “Evaluating Technological Collaborative Opportunities: A Cognitive Modeling Perspective.” Strategic Management Journal, Summer Special Issue, 16: 43-70.
- Hitt, M.A., Tyler, B.B., Hardee, C., and Park, D. (1995). “Understanding Strategic Intent in the Global Marketplace.” Academy of Management Executive, 9: 12-19.
- Daft, R.L., Bettenhausen, K.L., and Tyler, B.B. (1993). ”Top Manager’s Communication Choices for Strategic Decision Making: Organization Design Implications.” In G.P. Huber and W.H. Glick (eds.) Organizational Change, Redesign, and Effectiveness, 112-146. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Barney, J.B. and Tyler, B.B. (1992). “Top Management Team Attributes and Sustained Competitive Advantage.” In L.R. Gomez-Mejia & M.W. Lawless (eds) High Technology Management Research Series, Vol. 1: 33-47. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, Inc.
- Hitt, M.A. and Tyler, B.B. (1991). “Strategic Decision Models: Integrating Different Perspectives.” Strategic Management Journal, 12 (5): 327-351.
- Hoskisson, R.E., M.A. Hitt, Turk, T.A. and Tyler, B.B. (1989). “Balancing Corporate Strategy and Executive Compensation: Agency Theory and Corporate Governance.” In G.R. Ferris and K.M. Rowland (eds.) Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, Vol. 7. 25-57, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.